Re: SHACL syntax and metamodel complexity

Peter's proposal does not have the same functionality and is not simpler
or easier to learn. Neither would simplicity necessarily be an argument
to prefer it. There are good reasons why the current draft and proposal
3 have their structure.

As an analogy, take the difference between a "simple" weakly-typed
language (e.g. JavaScript) and a "complex" strongly-typed language (e.g.
Java). Some developers prefer JavaScript, others Java. The difference is
that the more structured languages (like Java) allow for additional
support at edit time, compile time and static analysis, and typically
lead to more maintainable code in the long term. If SHACL is supposed to
support data longevity, then I'd certainly prefer a more structured
approach.

Holger