[Editorial] Use of MUST etc (was: comments on SHACL 3 March editors draft)

From: Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 12:39:58 +1000
To: public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org
> General
>
> There are quite MUSTs in the document that are inappropriately used.  For
> example, instead of "a SHACL processor MUST use the union of the focus nodes
> produced by these scopes" say "the scope of a shape is the union of the sets
> of nodes produced by these scopes".  The place to use MUST is in wording
> like "a SHACL processor MUST validate a shape against a data graph as
> described herein".

Does anyone have a definite explanation under which condition these
special terms must be used and when not? I am confused as this
distinction feels rather arbitrary to me. I found

     https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

but that doesn't answer why MUST would be illegal in some cases. I don't
see harm in using MUST.

Thanks,
Holger