Re: Implementations without SPARQL

On 3/25/15 10:43 AM, Arthur Ryman wrote:
> Holger,
>
> I believe that Amamitra's point is that the ecosystem of business
> partners associated with his product is fluent in JavaScript. They
> would not want to learn SPARQL. Therefore a JavaScript implementation
> of SPARQL that ran in a browser would not help. This sentiment ties in
> with the positive reception for JSON-LD by schema.org adoptors
> reported by RV Guha.

So which client-side data structures are those people using? Do they
receive JSON-LD and just leave them as JSON?

> There is clearly a new generation of developers who are very
> JavaScript-centric. Personally, I think SPARQL is vastly more powerful
> and productive than JavaScript for expressing constraints, but many
> developers like "monoglot" development in JavaScript. If we appeal to
> them, it could make SHACL more impactful.

Fully agreed, and that's why we could add JavaScript support. However,
before we can do this, we would need a standard API that these JS
snippets would work against. For people using client-side RDF, SPARQL
would be the obvious choice.