Re: Implementation feasibility

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 6:52 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <
pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/20/2015 10:48 AM, Jose Emilio Labra Gayo wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 5:54 PM, Dimitris Kontokostas
> > <kontokostas@informatik.uni-leipzig.de
> > <mailto:kontokostas@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>> wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > Holger, you only mention SPARQL based implementations...this contradicts
> > the assertion that it will be possible to have non-sparql based
> > implementations.
> >
> > At this moment, there are already some implementations that show that
> > non-SPARQL based implementations of the core language are feasible.
>
> Are there any correct implementations of the core language, i.e., roughly
> what is described in http://w3c.github.io/data-shapes/data-shapes-primer/?

There are several implementations for ShEx, which is a similar language to
the one described there.

> How well do they work on large RDF graphs?

It depends on what you call "large RDF graphs" and on what you call "work
well". Some of the work has been done precisely to identify tractable
subsets of the language. Much more work can be done to find better
algorithms and optimizations and even to define hybrid implementation that
leverage parts of the implementation to other tools.

As an example, my ShExcala implementation contained a "validation by
endpoint" extension which allows triples that affect a node to be validated
on demand through an endpoint. This was an experimental feature that I had
no time to fully test due to other obligations. I also think Eric has also
been working extending his implementation in a similar way.

The WG can promote the appearance of independent implementations which do
not depend on SPARQL or it can prohibit them by saying that in order to
implement SHACL one needs a SPARQL engine.

Best regards, Jose Labra

--
-- Jose Labra