Re: Pragmatic Proposal for the Structure of the SHACL Spec

I have to differ on the point that the organization of our documents is up
to the editors. This is very much a WG decision and there is actually very
practical consequences that we need to consider and may influence how we
want to organize our documents.

One of them is that to become a Recommendation a specification needs to
successfully go through Candidate Recommendation and gather enough
implementation support (what exactly "enough" means is to be defined by
the WG but it's a least 2 implementations). If everything is in one
document, we need to get that  whole document to get enough implementation
support to become a Recommendation. If we split the document in smaller
pieces, various pieces might move along at a different pace.

For instance, we might be able to get the higher level set that doesn't
require support for SPARQL extensions as a REC sooner.

This is also something to consider when thinking about the dependencies
between the different layers. With the bottom up approach, if we end up
with the higher level having a normative reference to the lower level it
won't be able to get to REC until the lower level is. This is also true if
the higher level is defined as a "profile" (i.e., a specification that
defines a subset of a full spec) of the main spec.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies -
IBM Software Group