Re: SHACL semantics - any alternatives to SPARQL?

Hi
first and foremost - I apologize for not being able to be present at the WG
meetings. I have been trying to catch with the emails as much as possible.
Just wanted to pitch in my 2 cents on the discussion regarding SAPRQL as
the language for expressing constraints. Our products (Maximo/Tririga)
today uses the shape constraints to express validations which are evaluated
at the client side (browser based js). We do not delve into SPARQL as that
has a steep learning curve for our customers who always end up extending
our OOTB resources with extra validations. Customer feedback is very strong
in terms of a known scripting language - like javascript to express complex
validations. The direction we were moving towards internally was to support
a js script to convey the validations that cannot be encapsulated using the
normal SHAPE/XSD syntax. I would be inclined to suggest that we should come
up with a higher level constraint language and not base that on SPARQ - but
keep SPARQL as a viable alternative to that language.
--
1. there are cases where the consuming client (a browser) does not have the
capability to evaluate a SPARQL expression