Re: Shapes are Classes, even if you don't use rdf:type

Maybe it helps to compare "Shapes" to the (usually anonymous) class
definitions used by OWL in owl:equivalentClass and rdfs:subClassOf.
Basically, shapes describe hypothetical classes (sets of nodes) that are
never directly instantiated.

OWL still calls those things classes, and LDOM does the same, for
simplicity and consistency. I believe I could support the notion of
Shapes in the context of similar use cases, in nested "class
expressions" (ldom:all/ldom:some). If you look at Example 11 at
https://w3c.github.io/data-shapes/data-shapes-primer/#template-constraints
the blank nodes of ldom:shape1 and ldom:shape2 could have a type triple:

ex:RectangleWithArea
 a rdfs:Class ;
 rdfs:subClassOf ex:Rectangle ;
 ldom:constraint [
  a ldom:OrConstraint ;
  ldom:shape1 [
*                         a ldom:Shape ;**
*                         ldom:property [
    ldom:predicate ex:width ;
    ldom:minCount 1 ;
   ] ;
   ldom:property [
    ldom:predicate ex:height ;
    ldom:minCount 1 ;
   ]
  ] ;
  ldom:shape2 [
*                         a ldom:Shape ;**
*                         ldom:property [
    ldom:predicate ex:area ;
    ldom:minCount 1 ;
   ]
  ]
 ] ;
.

with no harm done. But even that rdf:type triple should be optional
IMHO, to make code more compact to edit.