Re: Property groups and Combinations

On 1/26/2015 2:07, Jose Emilio Labra Gayo wrote:
> And really, from my point of view, SPIN (or LDOM) and ShEx should not
> be confronted when they could be complementary. It would be much more
> fruitful if we concentrated our efforts

+1

> You also argument that SPIN was designed 7 years ago, and what? I
> think we should concentrate on what is the best solution to solve a
> given problem, rather than constantly checking if some technology that
> I have fits or not in a solution.

Yes, and SPIN was designed to address pretty much exactly the use cases
of this WG, even if that design happened 7 years ago.

> With regards to the research papers, they described what Shape
> Expressions are and how they could be used to describe and validate
> linked data portals. They didn't pretend to compare technologies. We
> are currently working on a future paper were we could compare
> different technologies but that's work in progress...

I am aware of one such paper already:

https://github.com/boschthomas/PhD/blob/master/publications/Papers%20in%20Conference%20Proceedings/Bosch%2C%20Eckert.%20Requirements%20on%20RDF%20Constraint%20Formulation%20and%20Validation%20(DC%202014).pdf

For example table 2 or table 3 clearly indicate that SPIN has larger
coverage than ShEx.

We agree that we need a merged approach. LDOM covers all of SPIN and
almost all of ShEx. There is probably oslc:instanceShape missing, and we
need to figure out what to do with it. We may be 90% there. Restarting
the process with ShEx would take us back to 50% coverage, because you'd
need to add the features of SPIN back in. As Irene states, in the
interest of making progress this doesn't sound like a step in the right
direction.

I hope we can move on in the same boat.