Re: Definition of Shape

> Yes, but I think we should have a simple definition of what a Shape is
>> and I think this definition could be it.
>>

> +1 for simple definition

Great. I really think we should have a definition of what a Shape is in the
context of this group. I think during the last call someone said that it
was not clear what a Shape was, I don't remember whom...and that's why I
though we should give it a try.

Looking at the glossary, I noticed that it didn't appear Shape as a basic
concept and I thought it made sense to try to give a definition of Shape in
the context of this group.

 I also think that in the

>> context of this group we can differentiate between a constraint and a
>> shape, saying that a shape is a set of constraints on some RDF node.
>>

> Does the shape constrain? or does it define? In the Dublin Core work the
> "shape" was called a "description" -- it describes the graph and the
> desired rules for the graph. Whether one uses those rules to constrain, or
> to inform, or to reject, or to simply shake one's head in dismay is a
> matter for the application that applies the rules. "Shape expressions" is
> very close to this meaning, and is looked on favorably within the DC
> community.

I tried to be as general as possible while maintaining a useful definition.
Do you think it would be better to change the definition to something like:

"A Shape is a set of definitions over the triples that involve a given RDF
node." ?

I would not oppose to that change...the main point, I think, is that a
shape can be compound from several other basic constraints (or definitions)
and that it involves the triples that depart and that arrive to a given RDF
node.

Best regards, Jose Labra

--
Saludos, Labra