Re: shapes-ISSUE-26 (invoke-highlevel): Can extensions invoke the high-level language? [SHACL Spec]

> On 2 Apr 2015, at 20:48, Arthur Ryman <arthur.ryman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Richard,
>
> Seems like a useful idea. In the case that the extension language is
> SPARQL this requirement is implicitly satisfied since we are defining
> the semantics of 1) using SPARQL. However, even in SPARQL, the only
> way to reuse a query is to copy it, maybe as a subquery of a larger
> query. Are you proposing a way to package SPARQL queries so they are
> callable from SPARQL?

In Holger’s draft, there’s a facility to invoke SHACL evaluation as a SPARQL function. So you can ask in a SPARQL function if a certain node validates against a certain shape. This function is central to the way sh:valueShape is handled in Holger’s draft. This function would have to be implemented as a custom user function in the SPARQL engine. (This should be trivial in any SPARQL engine that supports user-defined functions.)

In Peter’s draft, there’s no such facility, and sh:valueShape would instead be handled by syntactically expanding the query.

I raised the issue hoping that somebody will say something that can inform discussion of the differences between these two proposals.

Best,
Richard