Re: interoperability (was Re: isolating shapes in named graphs)

> I think that the relevance of this part of the thread is whether
> associating constraints/shapes with ontologies commits one to using
> those shapes.  The argument against committing appears to be that one
> would then lose interoperability.

What we do in TopBraid is that people can have local copies of remote
files in their local "workspace". If an owl:import is found, it first
looks if a local copy of that graph URI exists. That local copy may have
different definitions, drop constraints or whatever, if the particular
application wants to do that. I believe this is straight-forward
architecture that other systems use too. Yet, there is value in
publishing the original constraints in the master copy of an ontology,
on the network. Specifications such as SKOS, PROV and other user stories
in our list would arguably have done that if there had been a standard.