Re: Role of SPARQL

My personal opinion is that as a rule language, we should take something as simple as a restricted form of:

 { construct-template } IF { SPARQL-pattern}

Note:

1) I think that we need a restricted form because there are potential non-termination issues

2) this is both simpler, but also more powerful (e.g. allowing SPARQL-aggregates in bodies) than SWRL, particularly, if you combine it with SPARQL's entailment regimes.

3) SPARQL is a standard. SWRL is not a W3C standard, but "only" a memeber submission.

4) we could also refer to RIF, which *IS* a standard, but has no readable syntax... so this is better, IMO. Also, note that RIF is not ideal as a basis, since it has datatype reasoning on board already in RIF Core, which is what you don't always want.

HTH, best,
Axel

--
Prof. Dr. Axel Polleres
Institute for Information Business, WU Vienna