Re: Glossary for the working group

On 11/20/2014 09:54 AM, Karen Coyle wrote:

> On 11/19/14 2:22 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>> SPIN has a notion of global constraints. These are attached to
>> rdfs:Resource
>> or owl:Thing and do not have to use the variable ?this. They will always be
>> executed even if no instances exist at all, and could therefore be used to
>> check arbitrary graph patterns.
>
> Doesn't that mean that they would be used to check ALL graph patterns in the
> target data space? (An example would really help me here!)
>
> kc

Well this is an advantage.

You can use this facility to run an arbitrary SPARQL query and signal a
constraint violation for any match that it produces.

For example you could write a SPARQL query that matches on nodes that are not
the subject of a name property.

This is how SPIN can work without requiring any rdf:type links.