Re: N3 rules: literals as subject and object in built-in functions

jos.deroo@agfa.com wrote:
> Jeff Thompson wrote:
>  > To clarify my question, in RDF syntax:
>  > http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-Syntax-intro
>  > it says "RDF literals, which can only be object nodes, become either XML
>  > element text content or XML attribute values."
>  > So, is the restriction that only object nodes can be literals merely
>  > a limitation of the XML representation? (If so, a good reason to get
>  > away from XML....)
>
> In http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3.html
> Appendix: N3 Subsets
> you can find that in the following N3 subsets
> 1/ N3 RDF
> 2/ N3 Rules
> 3/ N3
> literal subj is allowed
> e.g. 7 a n:prime.

Thanks.  I saw this and it added to my confusion.  I know that N3 introduces
things that are not represented in valid RDF.  For example formulas, and
even variables like ?x.  The fact that "literal subj" has to be explicitly
listed makes me wonder if it is another non-RDF addition.  Furthermore,
Turtle is "another subset, for only expressing RDF", but it doesn't allow
literal subj.  However it easily could, which makes me wonder whether it is
left out because it is not valid RDF.

- Jeff