Re: Turtle version 2006-01-02

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> Dave,
>
> The decimal formats I am happy with as a change to N3, as we discussed
> on IRC.
>
> Is there any way on which Turtle an/or SparQL have diverged from rather
> than converged with N3?

Maybe.  I keep a note of changes from Turtle:
http://www.dajobe.org/2004/01/turtle/#sec-diff-n3

The ones that stand out now are the decimal/double issue which you are
going to change, and the boolean literals: true & false recently added
after SPARQL.

A test case for the latter:
--------
@prefix : <http://example.org#> .
:a :b true .
:c :d false .
--------

Testing with cwm (cvs version), it dies with a syntax error.

.. and so does my raptor turtle parser as I forgot to add this, oops!
Serves me right for not writing a test for it first.

I've used the above as Turtle test case 'test-24.ttl' and it should be
equivalent to:
--------
@prefix : <http://example.org#> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .
:a :b "true"^^xsd:boolean .
:c :d "false"^^xsd:boolean .
--------

I would give the ntriples but this dumb emailer wraps the long lines.

> Has anyone done the work to demonstrate
> (automatically) a mapping between these three?

Not that I'm aware of.

One suggestion for SPARQL/Turtle checks is that you could construct
SPARQL queries to check compatibility like this from a turtle example.

... turtle @prefixes lines from the example go here as PREFIX ...
CONSTRUCT {
  ... rest of the turtle example goes here ...
}
WHERE true

which should give the same RDF graph out as expressed in the original
turtle which can then be machine checked.

Merely a matter of programming :)

For Notation 3/Turtle checks you could just run cwm on all the existing
Turtle tests.  I do that occasionally especially when adding new things
to see what works.

Dave