Re: is/of feature of N3 in turtle/sparql?

Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 03:47:50PM -0400, Stan Devitt wrote:
>
>>Just to be perfectly clear,
>>
>>the key point I want to raise is that  at the moment depending on how "is"
>>aliased, the statement  ":a is :b of :c."  may or may not
>>parse.  Similarly for   ":a is :b."    The "is" tokens in the two
>>statements play entirely different roles.
>>
>>I am commenting specfically on n3 at the moment and need to look at the
>>use on SPARQL before commenting further, other
>>than indicating my preference to avoid applying aliasing at tokenization
>>time.
>

> The relevent part of the SPARQL grammar is at
>   <http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#rTriples1>
>
> The grammar currently inludes:
>   . , ;
>     s p o . s p o2
>     s p o, o2
>     s p o; p o2
>   [] ()
>     [] p o
>     [ p o ]
>     s p ( i1 i2 )

and indeed the SPARQL grammar bears a strong similarity to n3.n3 :-), including
the optionality of ; in  [ :p :q ; ], only requiring DOTs between triple
patterns and using tail recursion.

> My opinion as both an editor and working group member is that the
> turtle syntax is intuitive and attractive in its simplicity. We have
> postponed a number of issues for later versions of the language. I
> would postpone the expansion of the graph language to include more of
> n3 such as:
>   s >- p -> o # now  s = p => o  ?
>   o <- p -< s # now  o <= p = s  ?
>   o is p of s
>   has  # which i don't understand. where's the object?
>   this
>   =  # for owl:sameAs
>   is  # without the of

Not in n3.n3 ?

>   and the ever-controversial {}

Neither Turtle nor SPARQL have property paths either which is more of an omission.

:: n3.n3 ::
path cfg:mustBeOneSequence(
  ( node pathtail )
 ).

pathtail cfg:mustBeOneSequence(
  (  )
  ( "!" path )
  ( "^" path )
 ).
:: n3.n3 ::

which, in practice, would be useful (that is, I wanted them for something I was
doing yesterday!)

 Andy

PS When might there be a Turtle note?