Re: Proposal: General Workflow and Filename Extension [via CV 2.0 - Global Resume Community Group]

On 2015-08-24 04:23, Sanja Bonic wrote:
> Hi Sarven,
>
> thanks for your input! I'll try to answer every question/comment on
> important points from my point of research.

> advantages of the initial proposal?
> (-) less convoluted
> (-) input data once, output in several formats
> (-) bulk import by recruiters possible, therefore enhancing filtering
> options and then visualization options in bulk
> (-) manually writeable (it's easy to write/correct the tags yourself
> when you just see a list whereas using any of the existing formats
> requires additional knowledge non-tech-savvy users just don't have and
> don't want or need to learn
> (-) legible without conversion
>
> Using schema.org <http://schema.org> directly (when I started
> researching resumes this was my first approach) would mean we end up
> with an HTML file that is unnecessarily big and convoluted. Here is an
> example of only very basic personal data based on the Person type:

> <a itemprop="url" href="https://www.w3.org/community/cv2/"><div
> </a>
> itemprop="name">CV 2.0 Community Group</span></div><div
> itemprop="jobtitle">Participant</div>
> itemtype="http://schema.org/PostalAddress">
> itemprop="addressRegion">London</span></div><div
> itemprop="postalCode">1111</div>
>
> Nobody wants to read that and it is easy to make mistakes. Just creating
> an authoring tool like schema creator is ok, but does not seem like it
> needs a whole W3C group. We can of course still work on it, I am not
> opposed to anything you wrote in your e-mail and I think your points
> make a lot of sense. I did not favour a new file extension in the
> beginning either but I could not think around a better solution that
> encompasses all benefits. I would be glad if you could reply to this
> e-mail again with your thoughts and maybe the others have something to
> say as well?

> problems solved that can't be accomplished using existing formats?
> Existing formats that create semantic data are mostly microformats and
> schema.org <http://schema.org>. The CV 2.0 is not only about semantics,
> though. It is above all about a new form of resume that incorporates
> visualizations which can improve information processing in the long run.
> The semantics are mostly for filtering and automation purposes.
> schema.org <http://schema.org> cannot be properly used in SVG and we
> want something that enables people to have an easier time. Nowadays a
> lot of companies require you to fill out a form - every time you have a
> mostly badly programmed form to fill out so the company has an easier
> time filtering your data. This is not ideal. The problem we solve is
> that we create a complete approach to the next-generation CV2 and
> following up on it we need to make it popular and known. We do not
> really care whether John Doe has created a CV website using schema.org
> <http://schema.org>. We care about applicants who have to fill in their
> [...]

What you propose in something along the lines of .cv2 is not "text" per
se, but XML (i.e., a tree structure for CVs). It requires an XML Schema
and some mappings to HTML, RDF, or HTML+RDFa if that's to be employed
later. It is not really "human-readable" and actually requires
additional layers/tools to make it so.

HTML+RDFa is machine-processable (i.e., a graph structure for CVa) and
can already be viewed out of the box in a web browser.

The point is that, people don't want to code to manage their data, even
if it seems dead obvious. We create interfaces to help with that. XML
and what it entails will be far more costly in the data pipeline than
HTML+RDFa. The graph representation in the HTML+RDFa is disjoint to its
presentation, i.e., you can have any CV e.g., http://csarven.ca/cv and
process the underlying data as you want to.

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i