Re: .well-known

Interesting thought, I admit I did not know about this possibility. My problem is, however, with the governance for something like that.

I have just gone through the authorization procedure at W3C to set a /.well-known/csvwm file. Obviously, the system team at W3C had to understand what that is and it is for; after the necessary clarification I got the green light. Because the file itself is meant for CSVW and CSVW only, it was also all right to get a write permission to such a file from the overall site administration point of view.

However, a /.well-known/host-meta is obviously very different, because it covers general information. For understandable reasons I would not get (and I would not even ask) for a write permission for such a file, because it would affect the overall system if I made a mistake. This should be the system team's prerogative.

I would expect the situation be mostly similar for any CSV deployment. Actually, even more complex, because W3C is a fairly flat organization, hierarchically, and I have been at W3C for 15 years, ie, the system team knows me and (hopefully:-) trusts me. For a lambda publisher of CSV file on a lambda data publishing site the situation may be much more difficult (even the /.well-known/csvwm may be a problem, although we do have a default fall-back).

Maybe we could include a reference to host-meta in the document as *yet another* possibility to find a reference to CSVM files, but maybe that would become way too convoluted (besides, we would not be able to easily test it on the W3C for the reasons above!). Just a thought.

WDYT?

Cheers

Ivan

> On 17 Jun 2015, at 03:20 , Yakov Shafranovich <yakov-ietf@shaftek.org> wrote:
>
> Hmm. I am wondering if we can use the host-meta file instead, skipping
> the registration, as per this:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6415#section-4.2
>
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net> wrote:
>> On Jun 16, 2015, at 12:55 PM, Yakov Shafranovich <yakov-ietf@shaftek.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> What's the proposed format?
>>
>> It's simply a file with one URI pattern per line. You can see the proposed
>> text here:
>> https://rawgit.com/w3c/csvw/98e728bcfef8d30e68c10f9cd798da0d39c7d172/syntax/index.html#site-wide-location-configuration
>>
>> Gregg
>>

>> On Jun 16, 2015 3:38 PM, "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jeni, Gregg,
>>>
>>> I have just received the green light from our system people to set up the
>>> .well-known csw file. Can you ping me when the changes are added to the
>>> documents and the issue is closed? I would also need to know if it should
>>> contain anything else than the default.
>>>
>>> I will also take care of the registration when the document is available.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Ivan
>>>
>>> ----
>>> Ivan Herman
>>> +31 641044153
>>>
>>> (Written on my mobile. Excuses for brevity and frequent misspellings...)

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/