Re: Spec review request: CSV on the Web

-Cc: TAG

On 28 April 2015 at 16:55, Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan:
> Obviously I would have been happier if the WG had decided to create a new
> branch
> of the spec that dealt with mapping CSV tables to Relational table but the
> WG decided
> to do the next best thing which is to explain why it could not/did not do
> that.
> That is acceptable.

Thanks, Ashok.

> What are the plans of the WG for the future?  If the WG is continuing, might
> we see a mapping from CSV to Relational in the future?

We have no formal plans beyond getting to REC, and learning from
implementor and publisher experiences.

(speaking personally)
There is certainly some wider RDF community interest around R2RML-like
areas and it is possible that this could move into a Community Group,
where it could be re-explored on top of the basic CSVW approach.
Beyond that specific RDF angle, everything depends on how things go
with implementers and publishers. If we find a solid niche around CSV
that should motivate people in the relational database world to
investigate building things (e.g. import/export tools) on top of the
W3C-standardized core. And if that goes well, it could provide
motivation for a follow-up group.

Dan