From: Ivan Herman [mailto:ivan@w3.org]
Sent: 29 September 2014 05:33
To: Yakov Shafranovich
Cc: W3C CSV on the Web Working Group
Subject: Re: (Updated) draft for a default RDF mapping plus a draft for JSON mapping

Hey Yakov,

On 29 Sep 2014, at 03:36 , Yakov Shafranovich <yakov-ietf@shaftek.org> wrote:

> Ivan - thanks for the great work on this.
>
> I am wondering as another experiment if it would be feasible to come
> up with an XSLT template example that can then use the RDF result for
> something else. This would give some teeth to at least one of the
> template alternatives we are discussing.

My instinctive reaction is: yes an no:-)

Yes, in the sense that it would indeed show the possibility to use the output of the simple output combined with a further transformation engine to show that use cases can be covered that way. So this should indeed be part of the experiment. Which use case would be the most convincing for this? Not sure, maybe Jeremy could tell.

No, in the sense that I would keep away from XSLT in this context. First of all, the default mapping is in terms of abstract RDF triples; using XSLT would presuppose to serialize the triples in RDF/XML. And, personally, I would really like keep away from RDF/XML as much as I can... I think that using a SPARQL CONSTRUCT pattern (or maybe SPIN) would be more appropriate.

B.t.w.: is there a widely accepted and used transformation engine for JSON? What would one use for that? I can of course imagine a Javascript program doing pretty much everything, so this may be o.k. for Javascript based implementation...

Thanks

Ivan

----