Re: Templating: a proposed way forward

Hi all,

Still getting up to speed with the working group.... The work here is much
more theoretical than I'm used to, and I'm trying to figure out what I can
contribute. I am much stronger in applied research -- trying to make the
things people like you come up with work in a research library -- instead
of coming up with those things myself. So bear with me.

I have been using XSLT as an analogy to help me understand the work going
on here. For instance, an XML file can be transformed into, say, (X)HTML
by applying a stylesheet. Likewise, a CSV file can be transformed into,
say, XML, which is what we're trying to accomplish. Is that a fair
analogy? If so, then it follows that what's missing from the CSV-to-XML
transformation is the "stylesheet".

So what is the problem this working group is trying to solve? Is is to
make stylesheets (templates) for transforming CSVs into XML/RDF/JSON in
order to demonstrate the conversions? Is it to specify mappings and make
recommendations for how conversions should be made in general? Or is it to
create an XSLT-like language for doing transformations on CSVs?

In the case of the latter, this seems like a huge undertaking. XSLT is a
Turing-complete programming language! Is the concern that trying to define
a basic template language would quickly become complicated for the reasons
Jeremy pointed out on the call, stated below? That's my concern, but maybe
I'm overlooking something obvious.

By the way, I've just bought my ticket to TPAC. I'm looking forward to
meeting you in person.

Cheers,
Bill