Templating choices

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:24:57 +0100
To: public-csv-wg@w3.org
Hi,

For clarity, the options that we will be discussing today are as follows.

In all cases, we need to specify a default mapping to RDF/XML/JSON that is purely based on the metadata (which is also used to inform validation and display of the CSV files).

We could then do one of the following:

1. We provide for no other customisation of mappings to other formats, and leave unspecified mappings to formats other than RDF/XML/JSON.

2. We provide in the metadata documents a 'hook' for customised mappings to RDF/XML/JSON and other formats, but don't specify the templating language that is used.

3. We adopt an existing templating language such as (but not necessarily) Mustache, and provide a mechanism to point to templates in that language from the metadata document.

4. We specify a templating language with:

    a. no functions/operators/logic
    b. regular expression parsing & extraction of subgroups
    c. functions & operators based on XPath syntax
    d. functions & operators based on ECMAScript syntax
    e. functions & operators in some other syntax
    f. if/then/else statements
    g. loops (eg to handle multiple delimited values in a single cell)

  and point to templates from the metadata document.

Talk soon,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison