Re: Using schema.org Dataset metadata properties

Ivan,

Given that we’re adopting JSON-LD for the metadata file, anyone *can* use any vocabulary. I was thinking that we should including the binding of ‘dc’ to the Dublin Core namespace so that people can easily add metadata in that scheme if they want to.

I think there is huge value in having a predictable structure to metadata, as it helps with validation, display and conversion. Adopting JSON-LD in effect enforces a particular structure, eg saying that “publisher” must look like:

  “publisher”: {
    “@id”: "http://www.hefce.ac.uk/“,
    “name": "Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE)"
  }

or

  “publisher”: "http://www.hefce.ac.uk/“

and not

  “publisher”: "Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE)"

Adopting schema.org normatively would mean saying that “publisher” means what it means in schema.org, which I think is what we would want to do.

Cheers,

Jeni