Followup on data type extensibility

From: Yakov Shafranovich <yakov-ietf@shaftek.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 08:36:59 -0400
To: W3C CSV on the Web Working Group <public-csv-wg@w3.org>
This is a followup email on something I mentioned during the call
today. We are currently "hard coding" the list of data types within
the standard. I am wondering whether there is any value in having some
sort of an external registry where data types are maintained outside
the standard.

An example of this is VCARD data types, where the standard is defined
by the IETF but data types are maintained by IANA:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/vcard-elements/vcard-elements.xhtml#value-data-types

Here is an example of a W3C registry for XPointers:

http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpointer-schemes/

This maybe applicable to other parts of the work we are doing.

Thanks,
Yakov