Re: Graph Fragments Templates

On 27 May 2014 11:56, Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org> wrote:
> Ivan,
>
> What I gave was a description of the graph templating approach.  It is not a
> complete spec.   As I see it, we are trying to establish the scope of part
> of the technical work of the working group and Jeremy's example is a (the)
> example we have of CSV to RDF conversion.
>
> Part of the scoping is the relationship of metadata to conversion.
>
> The metadata is about what the CSV file "is", and details about it's
> publication.  So it is not capturing everything about the conceptual
> information that is CSV file is about.
>
> An explicitly provided template for RDF conversion is what the user wants
> and puts in structure that isn't obvious from the CSV file alone nor
> declared in the metadata.

Let me offer a metaphor from schema.org discussions: datasets are
packages of information, and it is interesting both to have
annotations/labels on the outside of the package, but also to be able
to "look inside" the package and understand what each individual
record (e.g. row) is telling us.

Looking at a dataset from the outside, we get the surface metadata
("this dataset tells you where disabled parking is in Dublin", it was
published by xyz on such and such data). Looking at the inside of the
dataset, you get the specifics ("there's a disabled parking space at
west side outside no. 7, Ard Righ Road, ...") (example from
http://dublinked.ie/datastore/datasets/dataset-219.php ).

Having a standard mechanism to understand such datasets more deeply by
"looking inside" them was the motivation behind the "LookInside"
proposal Omar  Benjelloun and I were working on last year,
https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/LookInside

The metaphor doesn't require that the "inside" and "outside"
descriptions are expressed in the same way, but those of us working
with RDF graphs/triples tend to find value in using a common data
model for both tasks.

Dan