Re: More on the commas vs. semicolons in CSV

Which makes a lot of sense, if one thinks of it; usage of the ',' character is indeed widely used as a decimal point separator in German, or in cultures traditionally influenced by German (this is also how I was taught at school in Budapest when I was a kid).

(A point to be made somewhere in the use cases?)

Ivan

On 31 Mar 2014, at 05:10 , Yakov Shafranovich <yakov-ietf@shaftek.org> wrote:

> Apparently the practice of using non-commas for CSV files comes from
> the fact that some countries use commas as the radix or the decimal
> point separator, to separate the main part of the number from the
> fraction.
>
>> From a standards perspective, both commas and dots can be used in
> decimal numbers, as per resolution 10 of the International Bureau of
> Weights and Measures:
>
> http://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/Resol22CGPM-EN.pdf
>
> Yakov

----