Fw: CSV Quote Escaping

See below.

From: Will Moss will.moss@airbnb.com
Date: 28 February 2014 at 17:43:57

I was discussing the CSV format with someone recently and we got to wondering why quotes are escaped using repeated quotes (i.e. "abc""def","hij"). The only thing we could come up with is it makes writing a character-by-character parser somewhat easier. You can flip the bit that represents whether you are inside or outside quotes every time you hit one and only add on the odd flips. Anyway, I emailed Yakov Shafranovich, who wrote the original CSV RFC (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180), but he didn't know. He mentioned that you all were working on a CSV for the web spec, so I figured I'd follow the rabbit hole a little deeper and see if any of you knew the history.

Thanks,
Will

--
Jeni Tennison