Re: Architecture of mapping CSV to other formats

On 23 April 2014 20:13, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:

> On the call today we discussed briefly the general architecture of mapping from CSV to other formats (eg RDF, JSON, XML, SQL), specifically where to draw the lines between what we specify and what is specified elsewhere.
>
> To make this clear with an XML-based example, suppose that we have a CSV file like:
>
> GID,On Street,Species,Trim Cycle,Inventory Date
> 1,ADDISON AV,Celtis australis,Large Tree Routine Prune,10/18/2010
> 2,EMERSON ST,Liquidambar styraciflua,Large Tree Routine Prune,6/2/2010
> 3,EMERSON ST,Liquidambar styraciflua,Large Tree Routine Prune,6/2/2010
>
> This will have a basic mapping into XML which might look like:
>
> <data>
>   <row>
>     <GID>1</GID>
>     <On_Street>ADDISON AV</On_Street>
>     <Species>Celtis australis</Species>
>     <Trim_Cycle>Large Tree Routine Prune</Trim_Cycle>
>     <Inventory_Date>10/18/2010</Inventory_Date>
>   </row>
> </data>

As there's only ever a single, string value for each property of an
item (when the data comes from CSV), it would be most straightforward
to map everything to attributes as the default:

<trees>
  <tree gid="1" on-street="ADDISON AV" species="Celtis australis"
trim-cycle="Large Tree Routine Prune" inventory-date="2010-10-18"/>
  …
</trees>

Alf