Re: Controlling repeatable headers and footers

> On May 7, 2020, at 12:30, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>

>> On May 6, 2020, at 18:55, Arthur Attwell <arthur@arthurattwell.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Florian. This is fascinating and really thorough. For what it's worth, it would be very useful in the paged-media work we do at Electric Book Works. Some books (like teacher's guides for school books) are very table-heavy, and this kind of control would make a huge difference on both screen and print.
>
> This came out of actual customer requirements in a table-heavy document, so I'm not at all surprised others who deal with that sort of content come to the same conclusion. But it is reassuring :-)
>
>> I also appreciated your note about the potential ability to inject a phrase like 'continued' on subsequent repeats -- not being able to do that (in Prince, at least, in my experience) is one of those disappointing trade-offs I sometimes have to explain when introducing an InDesign-based team to CSS layout.
>
> Right, I think that would be useful on its own, and doubly so in combination with this repeated header/footer thing. However, I think this is quite a bit more complicated to do right. But I hope we do get to it eventually.

By the way, the implementation is a little rough around the edges, but Vivliostyle has both repeat-on-break and styling of fragments.

So you can do this:

https://vivliostyle.now.sh/#src=https://jsbin.com/suziyol/

Source here: https://jsbin.com/suziyol/edit?html,css,output

Ideally, the markup should be done with a table caption rather than a figure and a figcaption, but the Vivliostyle implementation's a bit weak when it comes to tables. Still, I think it shows the potential.

—Florian