Re: [csswg-drafts] [selectors] Match local links (#2010)

The section I wrote about compatibility is wrong, I think.  Quoting again:

> In terms of compatibility, it feels to me that S5 in combination with the `:target` pseudo-selector could provide the results specified by S4 -- a selector of `a:local-link:target`, for example, to describe links that are to the current document and that are also the current browser navigation location.
>
> I can't see an equivalent compatibility route if S4 is implemented first -- it selects fewer items, and so there is not a way to expand that out to achieve the S5 results.

I'm not sure that I can phrase this clearly, but I'll try: in both the S4 and S5 specifications: `a:local-link:target` would evaluate to hyperlinks that point to the current page (and/or fragment) and that are also themselves the element identified by the browser navigation location (including fragment).

Basically, I had misunderstood the use of `:target` as allowing filtering of the target of hyperlinks.

Given that, I think that S4 and S5 specifications are distinct, but overlapping (S4 is more precise than S5).  And that reduces my concern about compatibility.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by jayaddison
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2010#issuecomment-2242428697 using your GitHub account