Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-contain] :root/body viewport propagation and containment (#5913)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 05:36:29 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
* Meetings notes / resolution apply to both equally, so on procedural grounds, we're covered.

* Propagation from body is a compat hack anyway, so since containment on body is a new thing, we can make the change without breaking things.

* Even if it's not strictly needed for container queries, from a containment standpoint in general, I think it is beneficial anyway:
  * on every other element, a change of the overflow property from visible/clip/hidden to auto/scroll can only affect the layout of descends. On body, since it'd change the viewport, it can affect the layout of the element itself. Same thing for writing-mode. Disabling that is a good thing to have
  * similarly for contain:paint, body is the only element where changing the background would require a repaint of ancestors <small>(well, maybe except https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6325, but that's another story)</small>

@lilles So I think it's fine. If you think it's a problem we went this way, maybe reopen a more narrowly scoped issue?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5913#issuecomment-851191543 using your GitHub account