[csswg-drafts] [css-scroll-snap][css-overflow] Snapping and overflow-hidden (#6321)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 01:33:23 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
frivoal has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-scroll-snap][css-overflow] Snapping and overflow-hidden ==
I don't think it is clearly defined whether scroll-snapping, and particularly mandatory scroll-snapping, is supposed to work or not inside an`overflow:hidden` element.

`overflow: hidden` elements don't get scrollbars, they're not scrollable by touch-pad or mousewheel, but they are scrollable programmatically, or by focusing/tabbing to an element that's out of view.

What about scroll-snapping then?

Since that isn't discussed explicitely in the spec, and since overflow:hidden are scroll containers, I suppose a strict reading would imply that snapping is supposed to work. But I don't know that we've reached that decision intentionally.

A quick test shows that in Chrome and Safari, they do snap, but in Firefox, they do not.
http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?saved=9314

That said, in Firefox, this may be a side effect of another bug, because if you replace `overflow:hidden` with `overflow:scroll` or `overflow: auto` it also doesn't snap initially (but it does after you interact with the element).

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6321 using your GitHub account