Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-variables] Empty custom property (--) works in every browser, against spec (#6313)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 18:35:32 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Resolved, and editted in a few months later, both in 2018 <https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/commit/45929663250db0e805ae6ecdac136307e6c8163d>.

I strongly suspect that `--` isn't used in practice on real sites, just on those code golfing sites. I think breaking them is perfectly fine. ^_^  On a real site, variable usage is setting things with nice names so they're understandable elsewhere in the stylesheet, and `--` is antithetical to that.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6313#issuecomment-849024341 using your GitHub account