Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-transitions] Transition to height (or width) "auto" (#626)

From: Brian Birtles via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 02:23:55 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
(I agree we should fix this but bear in mind that animations of `height` are generally going to trigger layout updates on every frame so they're likely to suffer performance issues, particularly on lower-end devices.

They'll probably be fine for many minor animations but for any animations covering more than a few frames/pixels you'll be better off re-thinking the animation in terms of transform / opacity animations. It's a _lot_ more work but the result will be better.

Like @Loirooriol one day I'd love to see browsers have a more general means of transitioning between layouts. That could solve this issue and others in a performant way.)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by birtles
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/626#issuecomment-841935150 using your GitHub account