[csswg-drafts] [css-sizing] Removing intrinsic aspect-ratio from an image (#6257)

From: Miriam Suzanne via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 04:35:14 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
mirisuzanne has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-sizing] Removing intrinsic aspect-ratio from an image ==
The [current specification for `aspect-ratio`](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-sizing-4/#aspect-ratio) allows explicit ratios, or the "natural" aspect ratio from a replaced element. But there is not currently any explicit way to _remove_ the natural aspect ratio from replaced elements.

In grid & flexbox context, it is often useful to remove the natural ratio of an image, apply `object-*` properties, and allow the images to stretch in whatever space is available or defined by the grid-template. Currently, I'm not sure there's a way to do it without adding a wrapper, and [using absolute position](https://codepen.io/mirisuzanne/pen/poRqXGd).

It seems like we should be able to do this with something like `aspect-ratio: none`?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6257 using your GitHub account