Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-pseudo] clarify paired-cascading behavior (#6386)

From: Oriol Brufau via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 21:51:01 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
What does `inherit` mean in highlight pseudo-elements? The spec says

> When multiple styles conflict, the winning style is determined by the cascade. When any supported property is not given a value by the cascade, it’s value is determined by inheritance from the corresponding highlight pseudo-element of its originating element’s parent element

So if the cascaded value is `inherit`, then it doesn't inherit from the parent highlight? It inherits from the originating element?

I would probably expect it to instead use the custom inheritance chain, i.e. inherit from the corresponding highlight pseudo-element of its originating element’s parent element.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6386#issuecomment-887858248 using your GitHub account