Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-overflow] Consider adding new CSS primitive for per-element panning and zooming (for web maps) (#5275)

From: Robert Linder via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 19:39:13 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org

None of the reviewed [web map tools](https://maps4html.org/HTML-Map-Element-UseCases-Requirements/examples/create-map.html) are pannable _when using a screen reader_, because screen readers have their own built-in commands for the arrow keys.

[Azure maps](https://azuremapscodesamples.azurewebsites.net/) and [Esri's a11y-map](https://github.com/Esri/a11y-map) (these happen to not be on the reviewed reference tools list) have worked around this by applying `role=application` to the focusable and pannable element, which may have further implications affecting screen reader users. There's a similar consideration for Google's `<model-viewer>` (https://github.com/google/model-viewer/issues/443).

--
GitHub Notification of comment by Malvoz
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5275#issuecomment-770008199 using your GitHub account