Re: [csswg-drafts] [selectors] :focus-visible matches on initial programmatic focus (#5885)

From: Emilio Cobos Álvarez via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 23:06:51 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> We didn't write the current language into the spec by accident; it was the result of a lot of thought and discussion, for example: WICG/focus-visible#88

Sure, and I agree with the spec language :). I guess the "no active element" case really kinda falls through all the conditions of the spec, though I think the Firefox behavior is the right one, because otherwise you don't show outlines for random focus moves that the user has no way of knowing about.

> Under what circumstances do authors programmatically move focus?

I expect the current spec language is pretty useful to do stuff like: Click a button, open a menu, move the focus to that menu, or stuff like that.

> Why would someone not currently or likely to immediately start using the keyboard want to know what the currently focused element is?

I don't know how this question is particularly relevant to this issue, but I agree that elements that accept keyboard input should always trigger focus-visible.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by emilio
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5885#issuecomment-767170630 using your GitHub account