Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-mediaqueries] [css-page] Viewport units / media queries interaction in print documents. (#5437)

From: markbrown via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 14:16:24 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org

We currently resolve vw/vh against the generic page computed from page rules without selectors, rather than the first page. With the possibility of [deferring floats](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-page-floats/#float-defer-property) it would be challenging to figure out exactly which rules apply to the thing that is going to end up first. Moreover, even if there was a `:first` rule it's not clear to me that that's the page the author really wants to resolve against.

> Also, should media queries be split into a separate issue?

I think it is at least a separate question. Media queries should resolve against the width that is available to the author or user (possibly after considering some stylesheets), whereas vw/vh should resolve against the size the user actually ends up with.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by markbrown
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5437#issuecomment-762866862 using your GitHub account