[csswg-drafts] [css-cascade] Provide a syntax for re-using cascade layers across encapsulation context? (#5854)

From: Miriam Suzanne via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 18:48:10 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
mirisuzanne has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-cascade] Provide a syntax for re-using cascade layers across encapsulation context? ==
This was raised in #4984, related to the [Cascade level 5 spec](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-cascade-5/).

From the spec:

> Note: Layer name matching does not cross the shadow DOM boundary,
> so the ordering of layers in the light DOM has no impact
> on the order of identically-named layers in the shadow DOM.

Are there use-cases where an author would want to…

- Reference or adjust global layer, from inside shadow-DOM?
- Reference or adjust an encapsulated shadow-DOM layer, from the global styles?

I don't currently know of any use-cases, but if they exists we probably need a special syntax for that.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5854 using your GitHub account