[csswg-drafts] [selectors] Define how "legacy aliases" work on selectors. (#5847)

From: Emilio Cobos Álvarez via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 01:30:52 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
emilio has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [selectors] Define how "legacy aliases" work on selectors. ==
There are various bits that mention legacy aliases on selectors as this bit of the draft:

> As previous drafts of this specification used the name :matches() for this pseudo-class, UAs may additionally implement this obsolete name as an alias for :is() if needed for backwards-compatibility.

As far as I can tell, browsers don't implement these kinds of things the same way (some preserve the legacy version during serialization, but only on some selectors). I don't think it matters much either way, but it'd be good if moving forward we'd define a "preferred" way to do these kinds of things.

I think for simplicity, doing it as a parse-time operation is better (i.e., `.selectorText` for `:-webkit-autofill` will return `:autofill`). It'd be good to put some guidance in the spec about this at least.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5847 using your GitHub account