Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-cascade] How do Cascade Layers interact with Shadow DOM (#4984)

From: Miriam Suzanne via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 20:48:37 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
The current proposal in [Cascade 5](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-cascade-5/#cascade-layering) Editor's Draft is that Layers are resolved after Encapsulation Context (roughly the same as "a new specificity category").

Even if that resolves the issue above, it still leaves open a question about global and shadow-scoped layers using the same name:

- Are those the "same" layer in terms of layer-ordering? Can outer stylesheets re-order the layers of a shdow-DOM element? (I think this is probably not a good idea by default)
- Are there use-cases for accessing a global layer from shadow-scoped styles, or vice versa? Would we need a syntax for that?

--
GitHub Notification of comment by mirisuzanne
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4984#issuecomment-754890182 using your GitHub account