Re: [csswg-drafts] [cssom-1] How to serialize specified value of properties with a var()? (#6484)

From: Guillaume via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:32:12 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> Right, as per those issues you linked in your edit, leading (and trailing) whitespace is trimmed by the Syntax spec [...]. So Firefox is correct.

Then the trailing whitespace should be removed when serializing `color:__var(__--blue__)__`, isn't it? The output in Firefox is `color: var(__--blue__)__`.

> > Does the intended change(s) in the spec(s) mean that a CSS component value can be a string in case the specified value is a var()-containing value?
>
> I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this question. Could you elaborate?

I understand from the procedure to serialize a CSS value that it expects component value(s) to be used. The current definition of a component value does not include a string, but only preserverd tokens, function, and block. And I understand from the above comments that a `var()`-containg value will have to be serialized using the original string, as is already the case of a custom property value.

Therefore I was wondering if a component value can be string. But I realize that I can just understand that these cases (custom property and `var()`-containing value) should ignore what the serialization procedure defines.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by cdoublev
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6484#issuecomment-908493431 using your GitHub account