Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color-5] What should the behavior of the CSS Color 5 color functions be when passed `currentcolor` as <color> (#6168)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 21:24:01 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> @weinig @tabatkins resolving these at computed value time would break currentcolor when inheriting.

Right, which is why we didn't say to do that. ^_^

As far as I can tell, we're agreeing - resolve the function *as far as possible* at computed-value time (so you're left with just the parts that depend on `currentcolor`, plus any additional fully-resolved bits that'll combine with it), then finish resolving, if necessary, at used-value time. Just like math functions, [like I said](https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6168#issuecomment-811307313) ^_^

-----

Yeah, I *think* gCS() returns used values for all properties with colors (but I'm not 100% certain on that), but Typed OM should be returning the actual computed value.

I think I'm fine with just returning the fully unresolved representation when a currentcolor is present? Trying to figure out exactly how much simplification can be done, like we do with math functions, sounds unfun, even if the UA *has* done that work under the covers to avoid duplicate work later.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6168#issuecomment-898727541 using your GitHub account