[csswg-drafts] [scroll-animations-1] Order of pause, setTimeline (#5653)

From: andruud via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 11:29:26 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
andruud has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [scroll-animations-1] Order of pause, setTimeline ==
With `@scroll-timeline` it's possible to switch the timeline and pause the animation at the "same" time. E.g. you can toggle a class like: `.switch { animation-timeline: other; animation-play-state: paused; }`.

During setTimeline, we don't expect the current time to change if the animation is paused [[1]](https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/5423#discussion_r470261956), but we _do_ expect the current time to "reset" if the animation is playing, hence it matters which order we do things in:

- If we pause first, then set the timeline, the current time will not be updated until we resume, and we'll be paused on the old timeline.
- If we set the timeline first, then pause, the current time is updated right away, and we'll be paused on the new timeline.

Note a huge deal I think, we just need to specify what should happen.

cc @kevers-google @ogerchikov

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5653 using your GitHub account