Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-ui] Change appearance: button to only apply to buttons (#5174)

From: zb3 via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 09:54:02 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
You don't have to look far to find the use case, because even on **this** page, we have the `New Issue` link, which does look like a button, yet with all the benefits of it being a link, like copying the url or opening it in the new tab. `a {appearance: button}` is not used in this case (so it didn't count and wasn't affected), but this is only because its styles were implemented from scratch. In the end, this is what I did as well, I just made another class to make button links look like buttons without relying on `a {appearance: button}` so now I don't have to think about that.

I think my argument here is just that `a {appearance: button}` makes this scenario easier to implement, but in no way decides whether implementing this scenario is possible. My original use case was for generating a document with the ability to copy the link to tweak some of its parameters, but I don't think that's what I'd argue about.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by zb3
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5174#issuecomment-707015527 using your GitHub account