Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-contain-1] do we need size containment in a single dimension to enable container queries? (#1031)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 06:16:07 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@ausi Thinking again about your example, I think it might not be as much of a problem as I initially though: technically, it's still an issue, but:
* this uses 1D **block-direction** size containment, but the thing that authors are mostly calling for for container queries is 1D **inline-direction** size containment
* This example relies on how block direction percentage padding resolve against the inline dimension, but the opposite isn't true, so I don't think this example has an equivalent with axes flipped.

So, maybe axis agnostic 1D size containment isn't possible, but maybe 1D *inline-direction size containment is?

Well, we still have the problem of scrollbars, but that is a more tractable one. Or are there more situations where this breaks?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1031#issuecomment-704719101 using your GitHub account