Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-sizing-4] Use cases for explicit intrinsic-size (#4585)

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 20:10:15 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@jensimmons brought up an interesting use case around responsive typography, e.g. using variable axes to reduce the width of the text in the top row to match the size of a column whose width is dictated by the rest of its contents and not the content in the top row.

Looking deeper, however, this would be a case where dropping all the way down to zero isn't actually what we'd want: that would create overflow if the rest of the contents were too narrow and/or make the text unreadably narrow. So what's really desired in this case is to set the min-content size to a percentage of what it otherwise would be, e.g. if the text is 25% compressible without affecting readability, set the min-content size to 75% of what it otherwise would be. So another possibility we might consider is allowing the the min-content size property to take a percentage, which represents that percentage of what it otherwise would be. (Alternatively, maybe the min-content calculations can themselves account for the compressability. But just wanted to note the use case here for further thought.)

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4585#issuecomment-703861706 using your GitHub account