[csswg-drafts] [CSS2] Current definition of margin collapsing isn't interoperable. (#5571)

From: Ian Kilpatrick via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 20:21:20 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
bfgeek has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [CSS2] Current definition of margin collapsing isn't interoperable. ==
https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/box.html#collapsing-margins

This is somewhat a meta issue which was found while investigating behaviour for `aspect-ratio`. We (Blink) haven't had any reports of users hitting these inconsistencies between implementations so this is largely an "academic" issue and not immediately important.

While investigating I created this testcase:
https://www.software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?saved=8342

The inconsistencies are around collapsing through margins, and when things are considered adjoining. Some implementations will "double-count" a margin in certain cases (which seems bad).

This indicates that the current definition isn't sufficient (or consistent) for building an interoperable implementation.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5571 using your GitHub account