Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-box] Explicit control over margin collapsing (#1324)

From: Eliot Slevin via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 23:54:05 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
The inconsistent handling of margin collapsing adds another level of complexity to the majority of projects. Elements such as headers, paragraphs, subheaders - their spacing should ideally be consistent no matter how they're laid out.

I agree we don't want collapsing margins in grid or flex. It's just a strange result.

What I would _love_ to be able to do is disable margin collapsing in the normal css box model - so spacing is consistent no matter the layout method.

There's lots of workarounds for this, overflows, :after's, clearfixes, just not using box model full stop, not using margins and only using padding - but they're all sketchy hacks with trade offs.

If I could start every project with:

```
*{
    box-sizing: border-box;
    margin-collapse: seperate;
}
```

I'd be stoked.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by EliotSlevin
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1324#issuecomment-734510280 using your GitHub account